Sunday, December 5, 2010

Thanksgiving Dinner 2010

Just a few shots of my Thanksgiving dinner this year....This is where the buffet line would be...I wasn't sure about the stuffing (if I would add packaged stuff to my home-made sausage stuffing- I ended up not really)
My daughter and her fiancee came down from MA, but didn't want to come down on Friday (our usual Thanksgiving dinner day, since we volunteer at a local charity function on Thanksgiving, always). Since her beau works as a cop, he could onlly make it on Sat. That was fine, since our family has a tradition of making "Slumgullion" for the day after. And she loves Slumgullion even better than the original dinner (so do I!). The only thing is, you feel as though you are making enough for an army, since you want to have enough for both dinners.
Now, don't go googling Slumgullion, as you will only get some kind of macaroni and beef mixture.

This was my stuffing bread... great mixture of leftover breads in the house that were getting to the stale part (croissants, high grain-pumpkin seed, poppy seed, sunflower seed and sesame seed bread-yummy, potato chive bread and toasted them in the oven for an hour while making other stuff below.

Had a leftover apple and added it and the skin to the pan that I sauteed my celery, onions and zucchini-- this is the base for my stuffing mixture.




I had made the sweet potato pie the night before (okay I just baked a frozen one, but it was very good) and Malakai, my 4 yr old grandson baked cupcakes and cookies during the week. So I had the dessert table set.

Here is the buffet table, from left to right... turkey, gravy, cranberry-orange relish, mashed potato/sweet potato combination.

Clockwise from bottom left: Apple Walnut Rice stuffing, gravy, cranberry-orange relish, potato/sweet potato combo, sausage stuffing, cauliflower-broccoli mixture, and green bean cassarole in the middle.

Clockwise from bottom: stuffing, sauteed mushrooms, more stuffing, broccoli/corn casserole, diced turnip.
An old friend in NY, Eileen, taught me how to make Slumgullion ...with all the heated items that you have at Thanksgiving as though you are making a Shephard's Pie, layering all the goodies; peas, turnip, onions, corn, squash, stuffing, turkey, gravy, etc and ending with mashed potato/sweet potato spread on the top. We even made Green bean casserole this year (I've never made it). Throw it into the oven the day after and it's absolutely delish!!!
Should have taken a photo of it.... Next year I will.

No comments:

Post a Comment